Individual approval for new vehicles
New vehicles without type approval (classes M/N/O)
So that a vehicle can be approved for operation on public roads, it has to conform to an approved type.
Complete vehicles that are produced in series in Europe and/or for the European market normally have an EU or EC type approval; older vehicles have a national general operating permit (ABE). Registration is possible without further appraisal.
National individual approval for new vehicles according to Regulation (EU) 2018/858 Article 45
Vehicles in categories M (passenger cars), N (commercial vehicles) and O (trailers), which are
- are not produced in series (e.g. self-built trailers),
- were imported from a third country (e.g. new vehicle from the USA),
- have been structurally altered before initial registration (e.g. conversion to a motorhome),
- have been completed (e.g. truck chassis receives body, tarpaulin/bows).
require an appraisal in line with Section 45 of Regulation (EU) 2018/858 for approval in Germany, the so-called national individual approval.
Our authorised signatories would be happy to advise you on all matters relating to drawing up an expert opinion to get a national individual approval for your vehicle.
EU individual vehicle approval for new vehicles according to Regulation (EU) 2018/858 Article 44
If an individual vehicle that does not have a type approval is to be registered in a member state of the EU, it is possible to have an appraisal drawn up in accordance with Article 44 of Regulation (EU) 2018/858. Once the approval has been granted by the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (Federal Motor Transport Authority), this vehicle can be registered throughout the EU.
Vehicles for which an EU vehicle individual approval is possible are
- vehicles of category M1 (passenger cars),
- vehicles of category N1 (commercial vehicles),
- vehicles with special purposes of all vehicle classes (e.g. mobile homes, bullet-proof vehicles, etc.)
Our authorised signatories would be happy to advise you on all matters relating to drawing up an appraisal to get a national individual approval for your vehicle.